Re: "architectural change" [RE: Draft: PI addressing derived from ASnumbers]

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Over here, can we get on with something shorter term? What is an I6SP
> supposed to say to a customer who asks for IPv6 multihoming next week?

Ask the customer what he really wants.  Really.

If the customer wants redundancy, use multiconnecting to connect him to
two of the ISP's PoP's.  Problem (99%) solved.

If the customer wants independence, advise them to use multiple addresses.
(This needs a bit tuning yet.)  RFC3178 will also help you there, if you
want a more complicated setup.

If the customer wants both short-lived redundancy and independence, do
both of the above.  Note that you really don't want to try to solve
short-lived redundancy problems with multiple addresses, it's just way too
painful.

That should cope with most customers' needs.

With some roadmap like this, we could actually get some solutions out of
the door, I think.