Re: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> The whole ASN == PI thing doesn't work because every multihomer can get
> an AS number so every multihomer can get PI space so we're right back at
> square one.

The point of the model, as far as I thought it, at least was that:

- those who already have an AS number, fine-- go for it (these would
possibly contribute to some 1,000+ routes in IPv6 DFZ, the absolute number
is peanuts, but of course there may be some layer 8 (and up) avalanche
effects)

- those who don't, forget about it, use other mechanisms

ASN-PI model extended to 32 bits seems like a wrong thing to me: instead
of a sunset, it just increases the need for otherwise perhaps an
unnecessary technology change (as4bytes), and depletes the current AS
number space.