Re: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Pekka Savola wrote:
>
> > - those who already have an AS number, fine-- go for it (these would
> > possibly contribute to some 1,000+ routes in IPv6 DFZ, the absolute number
> > is peanuts, but of course there may be some layer 8 (and up) avalanche
> > effects)
>
> Where do you get this? There are more than 25000 AS numbers out there.
> At some point, most of those networks will want to run IPv6.

Ok, my rough estimate was off a bit, but I was considering those parties
that could be running v6 in about 3 years or so.

As for the rest, e.g. http://bgp.potaroo.net/1221/bgp-active.html

lists 10305 origin-only AS's.  A little less than that, say 9000, is the
current number we're talking about.  Note that the mechanism is only
applicable to origin-only AS's, and some of those can get addresses from
sTLA space too.

Not so bad in paper, IMO..

> > - those who don't, forget about it, use other mechanisms
>
> It is very easy to get an AS number: if you want to multihome, you
> qualify. It's not even very expensive: $500 in the ARIN and APNIC
> regions last time I checked and no charge from RIPE if requested through
> a RIPE member. The hard part about multihoming in IPv4 is the address
> space. But if an AS number automatically means IPv6 PI space, that part
> won't be a problem either.
>
> This is what we in Dutch call an "open einde regeling" (open end
> arrangement): you know where it starts, but you can't know where it ends
> and thus how expensive it will be.

It ends at AS32768.

> > ASN-PI model extended to 32 bits seems like a wrong thing to me: instead
> > of a sunset, it just increases the need for otherwise perhaps an
> > unnecessary technology change (as4bytes), and depletes the current AS
> > number space.
>
> What's the alternative? Say to the 64511th person to request an AS
> number we're all out?

There are still over 2^15 AS numbers to waste.  Considerably more, less
than a half of about 29K AS numbers are actually even being used..

Long-term solution: make a better policy for doling them out; avoid
advocating situations where you (unnecessarily) need one.