Re: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Pekka Savola wrote:

> It ends at AS32768.

Any particular reason why we should leave 31744 perfectly good AS
numbers unused?

> > What's the alternative? Say to the 64511th person to request an AS
> > number we're all out?

> There are still over 2^15 AS numbers to waste.  Considerably more, less
> than a half of about 29K AS numbers are actually even being used..

Try to reclaim them... That's very hard.

> Long-term solution: make a better policy for doling them out; avoid
> advocating situations where you (unnecessarily) need one.

This is not "the internet way"! Paying people to go through complex
request procedures and then paying other people to review those request
means wasting money twice. If we're going to waste money anyway, let's
waste it on bigger hardware and smarter protocols, not on bureaucracy.

BTW, the fact that you don't see an ASN in your tables doesn't mean it
isn't legitimately used. For instance, most of you will not see AS12945.
It is used to peer over the AMS-IX, but in order not to contribute to
the global routing table unnecessarily we have our stuff aggregated by
the upstream.