comments on draft-py-multi6-gapi-00.txt

I have gone through the above draft again and started thinking. Although the draft as such does not give any solution in itself to mulithoming it is part of other solutions. I am not convinced it scales though. I somehow have the feeling it is no different than the TLA/NLA/SLA model that was abandoned.

Mainly my concerns are that this is based on statistics. The draft says that the options that are available to base this on is geography or population. I would add Geopolicy and economics.

If we take Sweden or Switzerland as examples, these are countries with relatively small populations but with a high number of large multinationals per capita. Multinationals will have a higher burn rate of addresses, especially in multihoming than "ordinary" users will. With the GAPI addresses, instead large countries that might have a lower order of multihoming is gaining advantage.

You can also argue that address consumption will most likely NOT follow geographic boundaries. If I take Stockholm, Ericsson for example have their HQ in a relatively unpopulated area. Also the "swedish silicon valley" have a high number of multinationals that will want to mulithome, but relatively small population.

The more I think on this, the more I think that any model that tries to align address usage / availability to Geopolitics, economics, address usage, etc - will not scale. We will end up just adding more and more allocation blocks and the situation will be similar to todays.

- kurtis -