Re: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

> > whatever, all bets are off and either we have built some MHAP-like
> > mechanism to map from these PI addresses to PA addresses or we admit
> > failure and go back to v4. Or we assign these addresses geographically
> >

> Currently we won't get to v6 because it is broken and does not provide
> the functionality needed.

Think carefully before you write things that the IPv6-haters might
misuse.

The reason we have this WG is to work towards solutions for one
thing that IPv6 with PA addresses doesn't fix in the IPv4 model.
For whatever reason, we can't get past the problem statement stage,
but it really isn't going to advance things to say that IPv6
is "broken" when the reality is much deeper than any of the
specifics of IPv6.

> We need time and a new design. There, I have said the magic word :).

We need, probably, a two layer approach. That has been proposed
often enough. We just need to work out which version to use
and see how to add it to IPv6.

> Global aggregation etc to me is starting to feel like a lot of ductape.

Nobody has explained how we can have log scale tables and real time
convergence times without aggregation.

    Brian