Re: roadmap

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

> I wrote most of it last night so it is lacking references and most
> likely spelling..:)

And how about this:

  "The current amount of AS numbers available are limited by the 32-bit
   field of AS-number in the BGP specification.  However, there is a
   proposal in the IDR working group of the IETF to increase this field
   to 64-bits.  This would increase the amount of ASes available, and
   therefor the potential amount of routes in the global routing table."

I don't think recognizing the 16 bit AS number space as a limit on
multihoming is a good thing to do. There are many ways to do it without
an AS number.

  "One way of achieving multihoming that exists already today is to use
   multiple addresses on the end hosts."

This doesn't work so it shouldn't be presented in this way. Also, for
future multihoming solutions it is important to know how having multiple
addresses is handled; there are many different ways.