Re: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Erik Nordmark wrote:

> One choice would be to have 16+16 addresses/headers end-to-end.
> Another choice would be to have boxes in the middle (such as border routers)
> add and remove the outer addresses/headers.
> My question is whether this can be done.

Why would we want to have two sets of addresses in any part of the
communication path? The identifiers can simply be replaced by locators
(and vice versa) between the TCP and IP layers. This could also be done
by external boxes if those aren't bothered by the state that must be
kept.

A solution where the identifier is present in each packet may be simpler
to implement, but only if there is no additional complexity for
authenticating the identifier, which seems unlikely.