Re: Again no multi6 at IETF#56

Randy,

At 02:27 PM 3/13/2003, Randy Bush wrote:
> You can do this in multiple ways. You could (playing the devils
> advocate) argue that the IETF should create technical specifications
> that can handle the policy of the RIRs. After all, to a large extent
> the RIR membership is most likely a better representation of
> "end-users" (for some definition of users) than the IETF is.

problem is that the rirs, aside from missing protocol folk, are
also missing router/backbone ops folk.  so they get a very narrow
view.
I agree. It's not clear to me that either the IETF or the RIRs represent the "end-users". The RIRs are focused on their members who are mostly ISPs and the IETF is populated by people from vendors, standards professionals, some ISPs, and researchers. IMHO neither groups primary focus is the "end-users". I would think that the ISOC could possibly fill this role.

> A better way to move forward is most likely to have the IETF
> _cooperate_ with the RIRs on a working policy.

bingo!
YES!

Bob