Re: Identification

Jim,

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 11:10  PM, Bound, Jim wrote:
There is no _technical_ reason this couldn't be done. People concerned about
privacy might get uptight about this though.
We don't want people to put identifiers in my CD player EIA interfaces
if they exist within the context of location.
As I said in my previous message, identity is independent of location. Reachability of identifiers is dependent on location.

The stateless property of
the IPv6 architecture permits that can be changed by processing on the
local network.
Also we want my CD player to be able to support a self healing link
partition if I change the IPv6 scope of identifier, or merge two links
to one link local domain as two examples.
None of these are identity issues, they are location issues.

Ergo XXX Electronics cannot burn IPv6 addresses in their chips and
assume permanent identification.
Given current IPv6 addressing architecture, this is very true -- it would be very silly.

However, if they only burned the lower 64 bits of an IPv6 address into their chips as permanent identifiers, there is no issue provided those identifiers are globally unique.

Even identifiers are chaotic and IPv6
architecture implies this is not technically wise.
In the context of routing, IPv6 treats the lower 64 bits as opaque values, does it not?

Rgds,
-drc