Re: Identifier/locator recap

Noel;

> But please everyone, keep in mind that separation of location and identity is
> *not* what supports multi-homing - what makes multi-homing work is use of
> multiple addresses.

Supporting multiple addresses becomes extremely simple with ID/locator
separation, extremely complex otherwise.

> Separation of location and identity comes in because of
> *other* concerns that people have.

Simplicity of specifications and implementations, which are essential
requirement to have multihoming or anything else.

> Note #: I think it's possible to do multi-homing with only a single
> routing-name (a.k.a. address) - but to do so would require that the addresses
> be asigned automatically by a system which was looking at the actual physical
> connectivity. In other words, addresses would not be assigned by a registry,
> and would change as the topology changed.

You are saying to use multiple addresses as the topology change.

You also ignore that if a topology allows for multiple pathes
between hosts, there can be multiple addresses of a host.

And, it is a scalability problem for a registry to reassign addresses
upon topology change to all the affected hosts.

							Masataka Ohta