Re: A Way Forward

I have to say that at least three stark contrasts -- that advanced by
tli/rja suggesting a new process, that advanced by Christian Huitema
(and apparently attractive to you) suggesting a parallelization of labour,
and that advanced by Ohta-san, suggesting all-out warfare, each
have their alluring qualities (and some drawbacks), as well as considerable
history within other parts of the IETF.
I agree on this observation, but note that I would like to combine the proposals of tli/rja and Christian.

There is also an unstated but discussed-in-the-background
approach of developing consensus over a document stating that:

	- scalable site-multihoming IS in the critical path of deployment
	- the problem is not currently well-understood within the IETF
	- there are many ideas about the problem, and about its solution
	- there are no known working-code/tested solutions
	- there is no agreed way to evaluate such solutions properly anyway
		- however, some are worth development & experimentation
		  (even those that would require a fundamental revisiting of
		  the architectural underpinnings of IPv6 by the Internet Area)
		- some are plainly stupid
	- "we tried and failed"
I think that a document like to above would be useful, but I do not see what the road after this would be. I agree with the statements above, and indirectly this to me implies that we have failed with the design of IPv6. Now in a way that might be a reasonable statement depending on your needs, but at the same time it does little to help us move forward.

Which approach to support officially is not clear to me right now,
although *personally* I am leaning towards the last one. Since that
approach can be done later if necessary ("we tried twice and failed"...
"we tried n times and failed"), I shall probably continue to hover in the
background until what looks like a very very very rough consensus
starts to develop on this.

And I think we therefor need this discussion on where we want to move. Maybe you are right and we will come to the conclusion above. As I said before, I would consider reaching consensus on failure and that there is no way forward an achievement as well. But I am just a bit to stubborn to give up just yet.

Best regards,

- kurtis -