Re: Failover for a multihomed site with unreachable ISP

Am Donnerstag, 27. März 2003 13:44 schrieb marcelo bagnulo:
> [...]
>
> > A feature may be, that it is not nesseccary to establish a BGP peering to
the
> > customer and therefore the customer doesn't need to have a non-private
ASN.

> Yes, i think so.
> However, the end-site needs some mechanisms to known how to route
> packets. I mean, if there is an outage above ISPa, the end-site needs to
> know that it must send packets through ISPb, how do you achieve that if
> you do not use BGP?

Ok, well. This can be done with some kind of multihoming information exchange
protocol, that signals failures and simultanously securely exchanges prefix
information between the customer and the ISP, opens and closes secure tunnels
between them and sets proper ingress filters. Don't worry, should we write it
down in detail? :-)

Christian