Re: Failover for a multihomed site with unreachable ISP

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 14:49, Christian Schild wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 27. März 2003 13:44 schrieb marcelo bagnulo:
> > [...]
> >
> > > A feature may be, that it is not nesseccary to establish a BGP peering to
> the
> > > customer and therefore the customer doesn't need to have a non-private
> ASN.
> > >

> > Yes, i think so.
> > However, the end-site needs some mechanisms to known how to route
> > packets. I mean, if there is an outage above ISPa, the end-site needs to
> > know that it must send packets through ISPb, how do you achieve that if
> > you do not use BGP?
>
> Ok, well. This can be done with some kind of multihoming information exchange
> protocol, that signals failures and simultanously securely exchanges prefix
> information between the customer and the ISP,

I would say that this can be done using BGP, what advantages do find in
providing a new tool?

>  opens and closes secure tunnels
> between them and sets proper ingress filters.

I think this may be interesting...
Christian's Host centric proposal  deals with ingress filtering
problems, but i do not recall that this possibility is considered,
perhaps it would be interesting to study it (IMHO).

Regards, marcelo

--
marcelo bagnulo <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
uc3m