Re: geo short vs long term? [Re: Geo pros and cons]

On donderdag, apr 3, 2003, at 15:34 Europe/Amsterdam, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:

i) for the overhead of the routing to scale, the hierarchy of addressing
abstractions has to be reasonably closely related to the actual
interconnection topology;
- ii) this means that either connectivity has to follow addressing, or
addressing has to follow connectivity;
- iii) the IETF cannot mandate where connectivity gets added;
- iv) connectivity gets put in where there are actual traffic flows and/or
commercial reasons to put it in.

Therefore we have to have the addressing follow the connectivity, and an
addressing scheme such as geographic, which to scale needs to have the
connectivity follow the addressing, is not feasible.
But does a addressing scheme that follows connectivity AND allows multihoming to a usable degree exist?

If yes, now would be a good time to unveil it.

If no, we need to select the addressing scheme that is slowest to fail scaling.