RE: geo short vs long term? [Re: Geo pros and cons]

Tony,

There are a few issues with your maths.

First, the 100% per year figure relates to the traffic growth, not the
growth in the number of hosts. The number of hosts does grow, but not
nearly as fast. The host count measured by the Internet domain survey
grew 20% last year, but that does not account for hosts behind NAT. If
you assume that the traffic growth is caused equally by larger pipes and
by more devices, then you get a growth in the number of hosts of about
40% per year.

Second, the number of sites does not grow at the same pace as the number
of hosts. For example, the number of PC per household or per office is
increasing. The hypothetical 40% host grow could be split between a
growth in the number of connected sites (new homes, new offices) and a
growth in the number of hosts per site. This would result in a 20%
yearly growth for the number of sites.

Most of the sites being added are small sites, which are the least
likely to be multihomed -- the big sites are already connected, probably
already multihomed. So, there is a strong case that the 10% figure is
probably an overstatement. But let's keep it.

The cost of maintaining the routing tables is somewhere between O(N.log
N) and O(N^2). Given the current size of 100,000 entries, a 20% increase
would correspond to an increase of 22% to 44%.

Moore's law corresponds to an increase of about 60% yearly. 60% beats
22%, or even 44%. There is no reason to panic.

There is also no particular reason to love geographic addresses, but
that is another issue.

-- Christian Huitema