Re: geo short vs long term? [Re: Geo pros and cons]

On donderdag, apr 3, 2003, at 22:09 Europe/Amsterdam, Tony Li wrote:

- The Internet is continually growing at an exponential rate.
  Most people seem to peg the growth rate at 100% per year
  currently.  The exact number is not an issue.
Agree.

- In the past, we've estimated that 10% of all sites would
  multi-home.  Let's assume a constant rate of 10% of the
  world is an exception to the default aggregation rules
  that we pick.

- From the above two, we can reason that our exception rate
  is going to continue to grow exponentially.  Note that
  the rate of absolute growth is more of an issue than the
  exception rate.

- Moore's law for memory suggests that memory sizes will
  double about every two years.  However, memory speeds will
  not keep up.
So far so good.

- Packet lookups are a function of memory bandwidth, so to
  sustain Internet bandwidth growth of 100% per year, we need
  to also increase memory bandwidth by about 100% per year.
  Using bigger, slower memories is not a realistic option.
Am I missing something here, because I always thought looking up routes scales O(log(n)). If memory size isn't a problem, you could even use a 2^45 element array and make route lookups scale O(1).

- Thus, the routing table really needs to be constrained to
  grow at about Moore's law for memory.
Not for packet forwarding. The problem is processing the routing updates. Since the number of updates scales linearly with the number of routes, but you need to look up a route in order to process it and then possibly do some data structure manipulation as a result, this scales O(n*log(n)) which is not good.

- If the exceptions are growing at about 100% per year, and
  the memories are growing at about 100% every TWO years, then
  regardless of the starting point, the exceptions will overtake
  technology.
Unless we can make sure that the lines terminate before this happens. If we assume 10% of the population will multihome, there is an automatic limit around 1G multihomers around 2050. However, one person may want to multihome several times by then...

- Therefore, we must find some mechanism that prevents the
  exceptions from growing at 100% per year.  In short, the
  number of longer prefixes that are injected into routing
  cannot be a constant fraction of the number of sites that
  join.
Or we introduce another variable to bend the curve downwards. By no longer keeping a copy of the full global routing table in every individual router, but distributing it over a large number of routers, we can make sure we don't run out of memory (or CPU power) in the near future.

- Since everyone and their brother will want an exception
  for anything that they want to do that is outside of the
  norm, the norm MUST support almost every possible situation.
  Multihoming, in particular, must not cause exceptions.
  Even a constant percentage of multihomers must not cause
  exceptions.
Agree. But if we can make multihomers connect to their ISPs and make ISPs interconnect within regions multihoming no longer causes exceptions. We don't even need all multihomers and all ISPs to conform to this, just enough to keep us on the good side of Moore's law.

- For reasons that I've already explained, the economics
  of links in a geo system cause many sites to be exceptions.
It's very nice to have a cheap long distance links and multihome to distant ISPs, but what does that buy you if you can't be routable? Economics is about making rational decisions, not about forcing huge costs in one area to obtain slight savings in others.

Besides, if links from Jersey City to Palo Alto are so much cheaper than across the Hudson, why not multihome to two ISPs in California and be geo aggregatable rather than connect to Palo Alto and NYC and break aggregation in the process.

- Therefore, geo addressing leads to a system that will not
  scale for the long term.

QED
The real reason geo won't scale in the long run is that at some point the number of multihomers in a city becomes too large, and I don't believe it is possible to do reasonable geographical aggregation within a single city.

But let's not compare apples and oranges. I agree that geo aggregation won't solve the long term problem. However, I does offer short term relief and intermediate term disaster relief. If we can make every IPv6 enabled host use multiple addresses for every application within two years, that would be much better, but I don't see this happening fast enough that we can do without a short term solution.

Iljitsch