From: Iljitsch van Beijnum [mailto:iljitsch@muada.com]
Sent: Sun 4/6/2003 10:40 AM
To: Randy Bush
Cc: Joe Abley; multi6@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: geo short vs long term? [Re: Geo pros and cons]

On zondag, apr 6, 2003, at 15:48 Europe/Amsterdam, Randy Bush wrote:

>> Trying to get something right that was done wrong in the past isn't
>> "repeating".

> not taking lessons from history and physical reality is naive at best,
> and dangerous at worst.

Is it really that hard to let go of preconceived notions?

The only "lessons from history" I can find are discussions that went
nowhere because neither party bothered to get into enough detail to see
if something useful could be done or not. Physical reality is that
every meter of fiber costs money. There are only two cost-effective
ways to connect networks: over the shortest possible distances, or by
aggregating as much traffic and as many logical connections over a
single circuit as possible. Both allow good geographical aggregation.