RE: geo short vs long term? [Re: Geo pros and cons]

On zondag, apr 6, 2003, at 20:27 Europe/Amsterdam, Christian Huitema wrote:

The lessons are pretty clear. I remember a time, not so long ago, when the shortest path from France to the UK actually was through Princeton, and the shortest path from some parts of France to other parts was through either Amsterdam or Geneva. The reality is that network topology is primarily driven by network economics, which themselves are only modestly driven by geography.
Yes, I remember those times too. :-) When I started out we were multihomed to a Dutch network and a British network and a lot of NL traffic over the British network went from London to Washington and back. Other European destinations were especially bad.

A 500 km detour (from Paris over Amsterdam or the other way around) is something we shouldn't consider out of the ordinary. In the US for example, only a tiny fraction of all traffic should be expected to stay within the same city or state. In Europe this is different for reasons such as language, and most countries have at least one interconnect location of national importance.

In theory, it seems easier to lay fiber over short distances, but this is one of those cases where the difference between theory and practice is even greater in practice than in theory. In practice, you get into things like right of ways that prevent crossing streets,
I'm not even close to worrying about streets...

traffic pattern that are not local, satellites that don't particularly care about imediate proximity,
Yes, satellites are a problem.

or the simple fact that laying fiber accross a body of water is simpler that doing the same accross a mountain ridge. Then, you get competition between providers, and all sorts of non technical reasons such as trust, business affinity, etc.
All of this can explain why European or Asian traffic flows through the US (to name an exampel), but that doesn't make connectivity completely arbitrary: even if European traffic flows through the US, it's always the east coast, and west coast for Asian traffic. (At least, as far as I have observed.)

It seems some of you guys are trying to convince me that geo aggregation can't work. I'm trying to convince you that it can and will. Rather than going over the same arguments again and again without convincing anyone, it might be a good idea to say what it takes to be convinced. For me, that would either be a fatal flaw in my draft that makes it impossible to get the necessary filtering off the ground in current BGP implementations, or something that shows that if geo aggregation is implemented in today's internet and new multihomers connect in a rational way, the savings in routing table size are negligible.

What would it take for you to agree that geographic aggregation can be a useful short to intermediate term tool?

By the way, these non technical reasons apply also to various "virtual addressing" schemes that propose to use a provider independent overlay on top of a provider addressed network. Any kind of virtual aggregation is much more likely to be centered on business relations than on geography.
If you base aggregation on business stuff, you must renumber when business changes. I don't think that is going to work well. The sad truth is that despite the renumbering tools we have and are building in IPv6, renumbering is only getting harder, not easier. We know we can't trust the DNS and no global PKI yet, so most access restrictions work on IP addresses. That's bad when you have a few hundred globally unique addresses, but in IPv6 you can have many, many more hosts in a /48. The more hosts with globally visible addresses and the more subnets, the harder renumbering becomes.