Re: geo short vs long term? [Re: Geo pros and cons]

A 500 km detour (from Paris over Amsterdam or the other way around) is something we shouldn't consider out of the ordinary. In the US for example, only a tiny fraction of all traffic should be expected to stay within the same city or state. In Europe this is different for reasons such as language, and most countries have at least one interconnect location of national importance.

But not all of them, or probably very little of total traffic is exchanged over them. In % of total traffic I think most of European traffic goes through fibers owned by Telehouse in London. Although not the fibers of Linx or LoNAP but through the private >> interconnects.
From where I'm sitting most traffic seems to go through Amsterdam...

In your experience, is it common for traffic from a source in a certain country to a destination in the same country to flow through another country in general and through London in particular? And how common as a percentage of all destinations/all traffic?
Well, it's either London or Amsterdam..:-) It I look at the old KQ network and what I know of the larger providers we peered with (so this information is around a year old) I would say that well over 50% of European traffic went through private peers. Of those peers I would say that between 60-75% went through London or Amsterdam. So yes, we did see a lot of traffic taking detours when heading for a peering.

KQ might still not be a typical provider as we had such a large percentage of the transit market in Europe. This meant that we had very few problems with this. We had more problems with non-customers and other US based carriers traffic taking detours in their network to get to/from us.

- kurtis -