Re: Resolving geo discussions

In theory the IETF gives large credence to "working code". Since this
theoretical argument appears unresolvable, perhaps the way to proceed
would be to allow some pilots (as previously suggested) and see whether
geo works in practice.

The proponents get an opportunity to prove that it works. The opponents
get an opportunity to demonstrate the damage that the pilots caused
to the v6 DFZ. But any damage would be limited to the extent of the
pilots.

The trick is getting the resources to execute the pilots. As long as this
WG allows the allocation of a few pilot geo blocks (and allows sufficient
freedom for the proponents to make their attempt), the proponents
have most of the burden of making the attempt.

Just my $0.02 regarding how to resolve this in a satisfactory way.

Well, I am not sure we need the WG to give a few blocks for this. I think that we to prove GEO allocations work, you could do with any give size of block. Even /48 (although it gets somewhat harder).

As for discussion so far - I think that if someone would write up the discussions so far, as to why geo aggregation won't work, that would be easier to compare to the proposals.

- kurtis -