Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-04.txt

On Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003, at 03:48 Canada/Eastern, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

I think this is about ready to ship. Just a few points, essentially
editorial except for the very last one.

Abstract

Site-multihoming, i.e. connecting to more than one IP service
provider, is an essential component of service for many sites which
are part of the Internet.  Existing IPv4 site-multihoming practices
provide a set of capabilities that it would ideally be accommodated
by the adopted site-multihoming architecture in IPv6, and a set of
limitations that must be overcome, relating in particular to
scalability.
The second sentence is very hard to understand, contains at least one
grammatical error, and distracts from the main message. I would simply
delete it.
Very happy to do so, and I apologise for my hideous wordcrime.

3.2.2 Impact on Routers

The solution may require changes to IPv6 router implementations, but
these changes must be either minor, or in the form of logically
s/must/should/
fixed

separate functions added to existing functions.

Such changes should not prevent normal single-homed operation, and
routers implementing these changes must be able to interoperate fully
s/must/should/
fixed

with hosts and routers not implementing them.

3.2.3 Impact on Hosts

The solution should not destroy IPv6 connectivity for a legacy host
implementing RFC 2373 [3], RFC 2460 [5], RFC 2553 [6] and other basic
s/2373/3513/
fixed

   IPv6 specifications current in November 2001. That is to say, if a
s/November 2001/April 2003/
fixed already

   host can work in a single-homed site, it must still be able to work
s/must/should/
fixed

in a multihomed site, even if it cannot benefit from
site-multihoming.

It would be compatible with this requirement for such a host to lose
s/requirement/goal/
fixed

   connectivity if a site lost connectivity to one transit provider,
   despite the fact that other transit provider connections were still
   operational.

3.2.7 Multiple Solutions

   There may be more than one approach to multihoming, provided all
   approaches are orthogonal (e.g. each approach addresses a distinct
s/(e.g./i.e./
Arrgh, fixed.

segment or category within the site multihoming problem. Multiple
solutions will incur a greater management overhead, however, and the
adopted solutions SHOULD attempt to cover as many multihoming
s/SHOULD/should/
fixed

   scenarios as possible.
s/scenarios/scenarios and goals/
good idea

4. Security Considerations

A multihomed site should not be more vulnerable to security breaches
than a traditionally IPv4-multihomed site.
Should we add "or a single-homed IPv6 site"?
Is that reasonable? Or does the addition of an entry-point to a single-homed site make it inherently more vulnerable, in some small way?

<t>Any changes to routing practices made to accommodate multihomed
sites should not cause non-multihomed sites to become more
vulnerable to security breaches.</t>

Comments on that would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian.

Joe