Re: geo short vs long term? [Re: Geo pros and cons]

On woensdag, apr 16, 2003, at 15:10 Europe/Amsterdam, Sean Doran wrote:

I am asking you here and now to step back and let someone else, who can take all of this seriously, take over.

I would seriously appreciate it if someone would volunteer himself or herself to the ADs so that I am freer to address (apologies for the pun) many of the discussions here in a much more me-like fashion.
Sounds good to me.

If nobody wants the job, maybe the ADs can find someone with no previous multi6 experience? A fresh point of view certainly wouldn't hurt.

Now that we have that out of the way...

Constrained L4 architecture, anyone? Multiaddressing needs a huge amount of work before it can catch up with the level of functionality provided by today's routing-based approaches. That's why we're still discussing the routing stuff, even though we know it has inherent scalability problems.

Do you think the WG could arrive at a consensus on exactly these points?

That is: multi6 could, if there was agreement, document that the L4 architecture as it stands now is in the way of considering solutions which we do not at present "know ... has inherent scalability problems".

I happen to favour such a recognition/admission of the problem.
Whether this would trigger useful reactions outside multi6 is a point which
interests me enormously.
Obviously I feel it would still be useful to pursue short term solutions in order to buy time to develop good long term solutions, but that wasn't the question...

It seems to me that if there is going to be consensus about _anything_ it has to happen during a meeting, where there is much more pressure to do _something_. On the list, calls for consensus usually don't yield much result one way or the other.

But to really answer your question: I think it should be doable to find consensus on the fact that layer 4 choices in the past are making our life difficult today, but I'm not sure we can agree on a plan of attack. I suspect that many people will take the position "if TCP wants a stable address, we'll implement magic in the IP layer to make this happen" rather than "let's improve TCP". Well, maybe that could be our consensus. I'd rather see it happen cleanly by changing TCP, but if we can get it to work without too big a mess in IP, I suppose I can get behind that.

If we can indeed find rough consensus on that, maybe we don't even have to throw it back outside multi6.