Re: Resolving geo discussions

Hi I just joined this list but I'm going to be bold and jump right in. I've been searching for a good home for my thoughts and questions about community wireless networking; mesh networking; geographic routing; and the IETF. Perhaps this is the right place?

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> If it's just "if you're going to do geo, beware of ..." I'll be happy
> to include something like that in the upcoming rewrite of my draft.
As someone who is working in the CWN community to try to develop (or at least conceptualize) a good mesh routing solution (with a non-mobile network...), we are looking at geographic routing. I am aware of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-04.txt

what is the address for your draft / other drafts on the topic?

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
I think it needs to build on the observation that there is no congruence
between network topology and geography to show that we have no way to make
geo addresses aggregate in practice.
Yes, this is where the key aspect of CWN differes from the regular wired internet. The community wireless nets are building out using Wi-fi so there are some statements that can be made about the maximum range of any given point-to-point link. One is simply curvature of the earth, a maximum line of sight range is IIRC about 50km given a reasonably high tower at each end barring mountain tops etc. (and even then there are limits).

simon