Re: Resolving geo discussions

On zondag, apr 20, 2003, at 21:17 Europe/Amsterdam, S Woodside wrote:

Hi I just joined this list but I'm going to be bold and jump right in. I've been searching for a good home for my thoughts and questions about community wireless networking; mesh networking; geographic routing; and the IETF. Perhaps this is the right place?
Probably not... You may want to check out the IETF mobile ad-hoc networking working group, that one focusses on IP over complex radio networks. See http://protean.itd.nrl.navy.mil/manet/manet_home.html

As someone who is working in the CWN community to try to develop (or at least conceptualize) a good mesh routing solution (with a non-mobile network...), we are looking at geographic routing. I am aware of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-04.txt

what is the address for your draft / other drafts on the topic?
My draft is about to expire or has already expired, but you can find it at http://www.muada.com/drafts/ along with the GAPI addressing draft.

I never quite envisioned general deployment of Tony Hain's geographic addressing, but it has one potentially useful property: it should be possible to aim antennas based on the addresses you communicate with. With the advent of "software" directional antennas this could be very interesting.

Do you guys do IPv6 on the community network yet?

Contact me off-list if you want to talk some more about this or the more mundane details of community wireless routing (I've always wondered how this is done in practice).

Iljitsch van Beijnum