Re: IETF multihoming powder: just add IPv6 and stir

On söndag, maj 4, 2003, at 03:53 Europe/Stockholm, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:

However, with a certain amount of cleverness, and also trading off per-packet
header overhead to reduce per-flow state in the switches, one can do an
amazing amount.

I don't want to bore everyone with a long explanation, and sorry, no it's not
written down, but very briefly, it all depends on having virtual links in the
topology map which correspond to instantiated aggregated flows (and
recursively so). You can either do an end-end flow setup which uses those
virtual links (and the flow stack in the packet header), or you can play all
sorts of interesting tricks with the flow stack to cause packets to take paths
composed of those virtual links, or you can do a mixture of the two.

I not sure if I have that problem Vadim identified with the full-blown
flow-setup case completely licked, but I have some ideas which I think will
do it.

Don't get me wrong here, but on first read-through, isn't what you are describing MPLS?

- kurtis -