Re: comments on requirements-05

On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 04:12 Canada/Eastern, Pekka Savola wrote:

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Joe Abley wrote:

==> should be reworded to remove references to "transit provider is a
site" -concept, which is irrelevant and confusing in this context.
Please explain.
Typically "site" is considered to be an "end-site", in the transit
provider's case, the NOC of the transit provider.  The backbone of the
transit provider, possibly spanning contininents, seems to stretch the
definition and the mental picture of a "site" pretty far.
I think in practice "typically" is in the eye of the beholder, which is why I was careful to define what I meant by site.

Also, the text may be rather ambiguous as it doesn't seem to match the
common understanding of what "transit provider" typically is.
Again, this came up when the draft was originally published with definitions. There is no common understanding of what "transit provider" is; different people add different nuances to their understanding of the phrase, which is why the definitions are there.

I think the current set of definitions are sufficient to cover the concepts used in the draft, and I think they're about as commonly accepted amongst operators as we're likely to find.

2) simplicity for the internet and/or the site should be made explicit.

3.1.5 Simplicity

As any proposed multihoming solution must be deployed in real
networks with real customers, simplicity is paramount. The current
multihoming solution is quite straightforward to deploy and
maintain.
A new IPv6 multihoming proposal should not be substantially more
complex to deploy and operate than current IPv4 multihoming
practices.

==> there are two aspects to the simplicity, with two different axes:
- simplicity to those who deploy it, and to those that don't
- simplicity to the Big Internet as a whole and the end-site itself
I don't see those as orthogonal; your second line looks to me like a
rewording of the first line (taking the Big Internet to be a collection
of people who do and don't deploy multihoming). Perhaps you could
explain that further.
There is a slight difference there, in my eyes.

The first item separates "multihomed site and its ISP(s) and possibly
their transits" and "everyone else".

The second item separates "multihoming end-site" and "everyone else
(including their ISPs)".
All of "its ISPs" and "their transits" and a good chunk of "everybody else" are potentially multi-homed sites; multi-homing doesn't only happen at "end-sites" (assuming I'm understanding your terminology correctly).

The topology is a richly connected graph. Your use of "site" and "transit" seem to imply a more rigid hiererarchy which is not the case, in general.

3.1.8 Packet Filtering

Multihoming solutions should not preclude filtering packets with
forged or otherwise inappropriate source IP addresses at the
administrative boundary of the multihomed site.

==> replace from the end (remove the period):

, or administrative
boundaries between any transit providers in the Internet.

(this is done to facilitate for the fact that the Internet is *not*
just
a homogenous single routing blob -- "once you're in, you're in for
good").
I'm not sure that additional sentiment is required, but I wouldn't
object to it going in.
I feel it's important, but I'm willing to hear what others think.

3.2.6 Cooperation between Transit Providers

   A multihoming strategy may require cooperation between a site and
its
   transit providers, but should not require cooperation (relating
   specifically to the multihomed site) directly between the transit
   providers.
[...]

Let's try to illustrate:

Site S
/ \
ISP A -- ISP B
| |
Transit1 - Transit2 -- [ Internet ]
| \
[Internet] [Internet]

Co-operation is currently a goal with Site S <-> ISP A and Site S <-> ISP
B. It is not with ISP A <-> ISP B.

This doesn't take a stance on even more non-goal co-operation, with e.g.
- Site S <-> Transit1
- ISP A <-> Transit1
Ah, ok, I see what you mean.

I'm not sure it's reasonable to take a stance on that. If site S wants to come to an arrangement with Transit1 to handle its traffic or routing in a certain way, why shouldn't it? With v4 CIDR abuse, for example, why shouldn't I be able to call up Sprint and say "hey, let me pay you money to relax your assignment-boundary filters in my particular case, so you'll accept my long-prefix route"?

This in general does not sound like a recipe for simple, pervasive multi-homing but I'm not sure why the goals document should state it as a non-goal.

semi-editorial/substantial
--------------------------
For purposes of
   redundancy and load-sharing, the multihomed address blocks, which
are
   almost always a longer prefix than the provider aggregate, are
   announced along with the larger, covering aggregate originated by
the
   provider.

==> s/redundancy/redundancy, independence/
No, I don't think there's any "independence" rationale there; these are
covered prefixes describing PA assignments, not announcements of PI
space.
There certainly is, if you can, and in practice do, take the portion of
the PA with you, to another provider. The text in the introduction does
not require the site to advertise the more specific from the behind the
direct ISP: as long as a covering aggregate (from somewhere else) exists,
you're fine.
I mean, there's no independence in the sense that you are still dependent on the provider who allocated you the numbers. You can't stop paying that guy and continue to announce your long-prefix route to other transit providers.

"Independence", when mentioned in the context of v4 multihoming, is invariably to do with PI addressing I have noticed. Hence I think introducing that word here would add confusion rather than clarity.

But why do you then say:

 the multihomed address blocks, which are
   almost always a longer prefix than the provider aggregate,

==> there is no "coverage" if it is not a longer prefix.
ok, how about "which are almost always covered by a provider aggregate,".

In any case, the introduction is incomplete.  Multihoming is also done
with PI addresses, without covering aggregates.
OK. That's a fair point.

The introduction should be either modified to be a bit more descriptive
(or generic), or make a reference to the v4 multihoming draft (which would
require us to start working on it again) -- which should be there anyway,
at least as an informational ref.

 This contributes to the rapidly-increasing size of the
   global routing table.

==> s/size/size and dynamicity/ (better word than dynamicity?!?!)
complexity?
Complexity is too generic a term unfortunately, it doesn't imply anything
about the advertise/withdraw cycles caused by site multihoming.
turbulence?

==> "backhoe-fade" ?  No idea what that means, and couldn't find it
in a dictionary either.
http://www.net.oregonstate.edu/netvideo/dugout.html
A bit too technical term, when a simpler, generally understandable way to
say something to the same effect might be possible.
Yep, fair enough.

Joe