Re: GSE IDs [Re: IETF multihoming powder: just add IPv6 and stir]

On woensdag, mei 7, 2003, at 11:08 Europe/Amsterdam, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Or you simply rewrite the first 48 bits when the packet traverses the
border into the destination site with the same value the packet had
prior to traversing the border of the source site.

This was not part of any GSE proposal I ever saw,
True enough, but I think there was reasonable consensus that GSE as-is wouldn't be very useful as it requires changes to too many things and doesn't implement important multihoming functionality such as failover. We need to come up with some new names though, to avoid confusion.

and it involves stateful distribution of mapping information. A very different beast from GSE, and it sets off my stateful=bad alarm.
Actually this wouldn't be a problem at all since we have to keep this exact same state anyway in order to map the other way around for sending packets back.