rewriting draft, next round

Ok, I've written some text for the draft based on GSE/8+8 I was talking about. For anyone interested in following my progress:

http://www.muada.com/drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi-rewrite-00.txt

(Please no spelling or style comments just yet, this is work in progress.)

I've done away with the 64 bits + 64 bits thing on the grounds that it is insecure and breaks transport protocols and autoconfiguation. Instead, there is a mapping between the identifier address and the locator addresses and back, so the locators essentially retain the identifying function.

Next order of business: the mapping function. I'm thinking:

- use a simple packet format with information that announces capabilities and preferences (not specifying the format, though: too much detail at this stage)
- both hosts should then be able to determine from their own information and that of the correspondent how they're going to communicate without the need for additional round trips (similar to TCP options in the SYN packets)
- getting this mapping mechanism exactly right the first time is going to be close to impossible and take a lot of time, so why even try, but rather: do something simple now but provide hooks for upgrading later
- so each host must support:
1. doing this inband in an IP option in the first packet for a session
2. find this information in the DNS
3. request the information from some central host that presumably implements a smarter mapping discovery/negotiation mechanism

I'm also considering a "delayed negotation" mechanism where hosts only use an IP or TCP option to deliver a cookie that makes it possible to negotiate multihoming later when it turns out that the session is long-lived. (We do NOT want to go through all of this for each individual TCP session towards a webserver.)

Comments welcome.

Iljitsch