Re: GSE IDs [Re: IETF multihoming powder: just add IPv6 and stir]

Jim,

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 06:47  AM, Bound, Jim wrote:
I am also not clear on rewrite of headers in transit is going to fly in
some cases I can think of as use case and one example is the military
tactical operations case, which for me is one area I work on and care
about as one of my roles working with users.
I'd be interested in understanding these cases better. From my perspective, what happens to my packet headers after they leave my machine is completely irrelevant as long as they get put back together into something that will pass the checksum on the destination host.

I believe if we rewrite headers we need to swap them into new routing
header type for IPv6 too, which will remove going to the DNS, LDAP, or
MPLS database to get back to the end node.  I view this feature as
keeping a history of location that is important.
Why?

Probably also need to think about identity changing from say system
crash, neighbor discovery DAD collision (after the fact of solicited
node multicast which I have seen in the real world).
The appoach I've been thinking about does not touch the identity of the end system as determined via DAD or any other mechanism -- a packet has a site identity value in the top 48 bits of the destination address that maps into an aggregatable locator when the packet leaves the source site and gets remapped from the locator back into the site identity when it arrives at the destination site.

I know I am going far to down in details sorry :--)
I like details when trying to figure out if a particular (arguably radical) approach will fly.

Rgds,
-drc