Re: New draft: Now What?

On Mon, 12 May 2003, S Woodside wrote:
> On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 02:14  AM, Pekka Savola wrote:
> >> I'll continue to harp on the CWN angle since I think I've found the
> >> right IETF area ;-) Load sharing is a requirement for multihoming CWN
> >> nodes. It would be good to get that into the internet architecture
> >> instead of having to create something special to CWNs to handle it.
> >
> > Could you elaborate on the specific load sharing needs, how it's done
> > now,
> > etc. because this seems very surprising to me.
>
> Load sharing: people want to join the CWN to use the aggregate upstream
> bandwidth of the CWN nodes. Even if it's just me and my neighbour, the
> ability for me to use the bandwidth from my DSL and his cable at the
> same time is desired. (Yes ... I know I can't bond the links ...)

Which addresses do the CWN nodes configure in the DNS?  E.g. if I have a
BSD box sitting there as my personal home router, and it has DNS records,
which of them are used for that?

I would imagine it's today done with NAT, if it's possible..

Or is the direction of the load-sharing strictly out-bound? (which is less
of a problem.)

> <digression>
> CWN Multihoming, currently it's not done. - The MeshAP in Knightsbridge
> and generally systems based on the locustworld system select the
> closest internet gateway in the mesh and use that one. Routing inside
> the mesh is with AODV. It's probably the most advanced CWN today.  -
> SeattleWireless uses squid to proxy network connections for gateway
> owners who want to share their bandwidth. They know they want it. They
> just don't know how to do it.
> </digression>

Interesting -- even though a bit more research-oriented than "mainstream"
multihoming.

> >> Also IIRC another person mentioned the PAN, where you might have WiFi
> >> and GPRS connections, where does that fall into your taxonomy?
> >
> > I'm not sure what you refer to.
>
> Let me outline a hypothetical situation. I have a PB titanium, it's a
> new one, with bluetooth, and WiFi, and I have a bluetooth phone with a
> GPRS connection. I'm at the office so my pb can connect either with
> Wifi to the corporate network to the intranet only, or with GPRS to the
> public internet. Is that challenging enough? ;-)

Well, PB+phone could be considered as a small site of its own, but for
most intents and purposes, it seems to act similarly as a single node.

This issue seems similar in some ways to the case where a company (a site)
provides ADSL access to its employees' homes.  Are those homes (where
there might be more than one node, even more than one subnet) sites too?
What if the home also has a "regular" Internet access?

These are tough questions, and I don't have the answers, unfortunately.
:-) Multihoming with multiple connections and multiple addresses should
work, though.