Re: New draft: Now What?

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 02:14  AM, Pekka Savola wrote:

I'll continue to harp on the CWN angle since I think I've found the
right IETF area ;-) Load sharing is a requirement for multihoming CWN
nodes. It would be good to get that into the internet architecture
instead of having to create something special to CWNs to handle it.
Could you elaborate on the specific load sharing needs, how it's done now,
etc. because this seems very surprising to me.
Load sharing: people want to join the CWN to use the aggregate upstream bandwidth of the CWN nodes. Even if it's just me and my neighbour, the ability for me to use the bandwidth from my DSL and his cable at the same time is desired. (Yes ... I know I can't bond the links ...)

<digression>
CWN Multihoming, currently it's not done. - The MeshAP in Knightsbridge and generally systems based on the locustworld system select the closest internet gateway in the mesh and use that one. Routing inside the mesh is with AODV. It's probably the most advanced CWN today. - SeattleWireless uses squid to proxy network connections for gateway owners who want to share their bandwidth. They know they want it. They just don't know how to do it.
</digression>

Also IIRC another person mentioned the PAN, where you might have WiFi
and GPRS connections, where does that fall into your taxonomy?
I'm not sure what you refer to.
Let me outline a hypothetical situation. I have a PB titanium, it's a new one, with bluetooth, and WiFi, and I have a bluetooth phone with a GPRS connection. I'm at the office so my pb can connect either with Wifi to the corporate network to the intranet only, or with GPRS to the public internet. Is that challenging enough? ;-)

simon