Re: tunneling [Was: Agenda for Vienna]

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 23:57, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On dinsdag, mei 20, 2003, at 22:28 Europe/Amsterdam, Tony Li wrote:
>
> > Meta note: if we're trying to talk architecture, I'd say that
> > dealing with the identifier/locator relationship is secondary.
>
> I don't think we can make informed decisions about the architectural
> approach unless we know how well each approach is going to work out.
> That's why I keep going into detail.
>
> > Our primary discussion should be about alternatives to
> > "identifier/locator split" solutions.  That's clearly one
> > architecture, what are others that folks find credible?
>
> Ok, let me list some solutions that have come up:
>
> - mobility
> - HIP
> - source routing / conditional source routing
> - controlled deaggregation
> - backup path over second ISP using routing or tunnels
> - address agile transports
> - loc/id
> - geo aggregation

to my understanding multiple of the above solutions are based on the
loc/id separation

That is:
- mobility
- HIP
- address agile transports
- loc/id

Are solutions based on the separation of loc/id roles. I mean all of
them use a fixed identifier for application layer and multiple locators
for routing (in this case in the end -hosts)

Moreover, i would say that all (host) multi-address solutions are based
on loc/id split concept when they attempt to preserve established
connections

- backup path over second ISP using routing or tunnels
This may also be considered a loc/id separation, sine an alternative locator is used to reach a final destination
(so the original dest address plays the role of a locator)

However, i think that there is some fuzziness in this, so perhaps it would be interesting to have
a more precise definition about what we are talking about when we use the loc/id split expression
I've tried but couldn't find any short definition that i liked...
Perhaps after we have a more precise definition we could ask for opinions and reach consensus more easily.

So solutions not based on loc/id separation remaining are:

- controlled deaggregation
- geo aggregation

FWIW, i prefer the loc/id split approach (if this means what i think it does)

Regards, marcelo

--
marcelo bagnulo <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
uc3m