Re: draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-06.txt

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Jay Ford wrote:

> Call me a control freak, but I (as campus network routing guy) would like to
> get a little more determinism than is afforded by a virtual coin toss, even a
> weighted one.  If the address selection must occur in the host, I at least
> want a hook to influence the selection process (for srcaddr *and* dstaddr).

There have been many similar comments (from myself as well) asserting
your statement.  It needs to be OS-independent as well, meaning that any
device that speaks IPv6 should be able to follow my rules/hints for where
traffic needs to go.  Any solution without this should be deemed
unacceptable.

Network mechanisms *need* to have visibility into alternate paths for a
particular destination so that the path selection can be chosen via
policy.

/cah

--
Craig A. Huegen, Chief Network Architect      C i s c o  S y s t e m s
IT Transport, Network Technology & Design           ||        ||