Re: about draft-ohira-assign-select-e2e-multihome-00.txt (was :Re: Callfor presentations)

Huitema,

> There are really four classes of solutions to the conflict between
> site multi-homing and ingress filtering.
> The simplest solution is to inform each provider about all the valid prefixes for the site.
> Another solution is to make sure that hosts always pick the right exit.
> The third solution is to use a redirection mechanism from the routers.
> The fourth solution is to implement some variation of source dependent routing,
> so packets are routed to the right exit.
Your analysis is so thorough that the method which I propose is classified into
the fourth of your classification.

However, I think that the most essential difference between you and me is the goal.
As you said above, your goal is to get around ingress filter in multihoming environment.
On the other hand, my goal is that end hosts (to be exact, applications which run on those
hosts) will be able to select the adequete site exit router even if there are no ingress filters.

July 11, 2003 (JST +0900)
----
Kenji Ohira
Graduate School of Informatics, Kyoto University, JAPAN
mailto: torus@tori.cc / ohira@net.ist.i.kyoto-u.ac.jp