Re: about draft-ohira-assign-select-e2e-multihome-00.txt

Le mer 09/07/2003 à 12:54, Kenji Ohira a écrit :
> My proposal can be summarized as follows.
> 1. Assign IP addresses hierarchically.
>   e.g.: When a site A subscribes to a local ISP L and M, a host H in
>         the site A has addresses L:A:H and M:A:H.
> 2. Use source address based routing.
>         In case of the above example, a packet with L:A:H as source
>         address will go through ISP L and a packet with M:A:H as source
>         address will go through ISP M. End hosts (further more, end
>         applications) can select which ISP a packet will go through.

AFAIK the 2 points above were also suggested in Huitema's draft.
>From my point of view your suggestion is :

1. Use Huitema's Host-Centric Multihoming with source-base routing
2. Let the end-hosts' applications decide which source address to use,
   i.e. change end-hosts' API and applications (this is not clear in
   your draft)

Is that correct ?

If yes, how do you perform the source address selection ?
Does that mean that all applications on the end hosts need to be
modified in order to benefit from multihoming ?

Cédric