RE: Fwd: Minutes / Notes

Hi Noel

> There is also the issue of whether or not you want to carry both
> the location
> and identity in all packets. You more or less have to have the location,
> otherwise the packet can't get there. Whether or not you carry
> the identity
> as well is an architectural/engineering question.

As it was mentioned in the meeting, information contained in packets binding
locators to identifiers can not be trusted (unless it is secured with
additional tools), so i guess that it is only needed to carry both
identifier and locators in packets that convey binding information securely
which shouldnīt be in all packets.
So, i guess that you need to carry the locator of the destination, since it
is needed to forward the packet to the destination.
I guess that you donīt need to carry the destination identifier in all
packets.
For the source endpoint information, i am not sure.
I think that carrying the source identifier would make more sense, since it
identifies the other endd of the communication. This would also allow to
configure filters depending on the source identifier making things like
renumbering easier. The first problem that i find with this option is that
you cannot send error messages back to the source (since there is no locator
of the source) when there is a problem and additional mechanisms are needed
to perform reverse mapping in this situation.

So (without much analysis) i would say that packets should contain the
destination locator and the source identifier, but i am certainly missing
many things here.

Regards, marcelo