Re: Minutes / Notes

On Monday, Jul 21, 2003, at 02:43 Canada/Eastern, Pekka Savola wrote:

Also remember that the effects of a re-homing event
can be felt several levels down; if your path to the DFZ is through
three intermediate ASes, then you're three-times as likely to feel the
impact of a re-homing event if the multihoming architecture presents an
impact to be felt. In some countries, *all* the ISPs are two or three
ASes away from the core.
Nope, it's not as simple as that.

Please remember the context here: we're talking about the connection
surviability of the end-user. What happens several AS's upstream doesn't
typically matter *at all*. Sure, some circuit goes down, and traffic gets
re-routed. These almost always cause a quick re-routing, not e.g. falling
back to BGP hello timeouts. These are not things that are (typically)
visible to the end-users, and do not trigger rehoming events.
Right, that's the case right now.

However, if a re-homing event between the user and the DFZ forces a renumbering event (for example), and there's no transport-layer support for session stability over that renumbering event, then the user will see their sessions die.

The most important things, as it seems to me, are:
 - your own resiliency
 - the connection between you and your ISP(s)
 - your first-hop ISP's network characteristics, configuration, etc.
That is the case with today's IPv4 multi-homing, since the multi-homing model provides endpoint address stability. In the case of an alternate multi-homing model which doesn't provide address stability, users will feel pain.

So, in this context, I'm not sure that in practice the connection
survivability is a strict requirement.  IMHO, the quality of your
first-hop ISP is the thing that matters the most.

Joe