Re: Minutes / Notes

On Monday, Jul 21, 2003, at 06:59 Canada/Eastern, Pekka Savola wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Joe Abley wrote:

However, if a re-homing event between the user and the DFZ forces a
renumbering event (for example), and there's no transport-layer support
for session stability over that renumbering event, then the user will
see their sessions die.
Indeed.

I don't think this is all that common case, though. I'd really wish to
know of events like these in the DFZ that caused a re-routing delay long
enough (e.g. over 30 secs) to be an annoyance.
It's not at all a common case right now, because right now re-homing events are handled in the v4 network today without anybody having to renumber.

The issue of whether path instability causes session resets is different. I don't think it happens very often (unless accompanied by rapid route flapping which causes prefixes to be damped out for noticable periods), but I don't know of any formal study.

Joe