Re: distributed hash tables

On vrijdag, jul 25, 2003, at 01:31 Europe/Amsterdam, Christian Huitema wrote:

What do you do when the network hosting your HA drops dead?

That's why I was mentioning a virtual address rather than an HA. Are you
familiar with the distributed hash table algorithms? Basically, a DHT is
a reliable overlay on top of an arbitrary network. In a classic DHT
design, nodes have identifiers randomly spread in a large number space.
If you can distribute your information over a set of reliable and trustworthy nodes, this could work very well. However, we can't assume any one node to be reliable, so we need to build in a good deal of redundancy and dynamic replication. This also means that a resolver may need to contact several nodes in sequence to find the required information. But it gets worse: a node that is supposed to hold a certain piece of information could, rather than hand over the requested information, claim that the information doesn't exist. The only way that I can see to get around this is distribute copies of the same piece of information over so many nodes that it becomes infeasible to corrupt them all. Which probably means there isn't a workable tradeoff between security/reliability and performance.

So essentially this has all the downsides of DNS and then some, with the only advantage that you now get to search in flat spaces too.