Re: Consensus on identifier/locator split?

On donderdag, aug 7, 2003, at 18:03 Europe/Amsterdam, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:

Looking at all that, it seems to me, from an architectural point of view, to be wiser to put it somewhat lower down in the stack. YMMV if you take other considerations more highly.
I don't see how we could put the necessary information anywhere but in IP options/extension headers, if only because the TCP option space is too cramped and most other transport protocols don't have options at all.

On the other hand, TCP knows what's happening end-to-end.

So we probably want impementations to blur the layer boundaries a bit to take advantage of the opportunities at both the network and transport layers.