Re: Whither a session layer, and where (was Re: Consensus on identifier/locator split?)

To the chairs - if this is seriously off-topic for multi6, please
feel free to say so...

The problem with having session layer functionality (as
I understand it) underneath the transport layer, is that
so much of transport-layer functionality is tied to a
single connection path (P-MTU and RTT, to name two).

If path changes reset all of this functionality, it's not clear
to me what the benefits of being "above" session-layer
functionality might be.

And the bigger problem is that we have so many
transport protocols that are implemented in kernel
space - this was a huge problem for SCTP, and I
expect it will be a huge problem for DCCP as
well. If session-layer functionality is above transport,
end users can make decisions about deploying it;
if it's below transport, we're waiting for OS releases
before anything is possible. This shouldn't be "fatal",
but we even ended up deploying RTP-over-UDP
so we didn't have to wait for OS support of RTP
in kernels...

Spencer