Re: Fwd: A comment about MAST

Mr. Ohta, I'm afraid you are misinterpreting (and misrepresenting) me;
I do hate NAT, and I am a firm believer in IPv6.

Granted, we need some architecturally solid and sound solution, i.e. the
ultimate, long-term goal, to the ID/LOC problem.  However, that will
probably mean introducing a new namespace for either identifier or
locator (depending on which purpose we decide to use the current IP
address space for), and applications must adapt itself to the new world
order.

On the other hand, applications can start benefiting from MAST almost
immediately, especially when they do not care about communication
endpoint addresses.  And a lot of existing applications fall into this
category.  I think, therefore, MAST can serve as a good stopgap while
a permanant solution is being developed and deployed.

This is not some ten years ago when people started (ab)using NAT without
realizing its full consequence.  Provided we have some bigger picture,
or a roadmap, I think MAST still has its merits when used accordingly to
the roadmap even though it inherits some of the same problematic natures
from NAT as you pointed out.

As for the roadmap itself, I think I just explained my crude idea about
it; make a permanant solution that cleanly separates identifiers from
locators, and use MAST as a stopgap. =)

Regards,
Eugene