The End-to-End Principle (was Re: Fwd: A comment about MAST)

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 01:46:25PM -0700, Eugene M. Kim wrote:

> OT: Actually I was reading your E2E multihoming draft this morning then
> encountered a similar problem; you apparently believed in the concept of
> E2E by using phrases like `end to end _principle_' but failed to clarify
> what `end-to-end' exactly implied.  If you meant some concept widely
> believed in by other people, perhaps adding at the end of the draft a
> reference to some other document that discusses the concept would help
> the uninformed camp (including me) understand you and your proposal
> better.

A mea-culpa self-reply... =)  It seems that concept has been already
documented for more than 20 years: Saltzer et al, `End-to-End Arguments
in System Design', found online at
http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoend.txt; could
you add this to your e2e-multihoming draft as a reference?

Thanks,
Eugene