Re: Full routes needed at sites? [Re: RIR bashing, was: Routing table size?]

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, masataka ohta wrote:
> > A typical customer (at least the kind of I imagine using something like
> > this) would be one connecting to two operators operating in the same
> > region.   The global connectivity would be more or less the same.  Sure,
> > there could be differences and optimizations of dozens of milliseconds,
> > but that wouldn't be a major problem.
>
> You are saying there were geographical aggregation.
>
> There is not.
>
> Otherwise, go with geographic aggregation.
>
> It should also be noted that, like geographic aggregation, your
> scheme will make some local peeing a single point of failure.

I don't think I'm implying that there is geographical aggregation.
Perhaps my wording "the global connectivity would be more or less the
same" was confusing.  What I meant is that it really doesn't matter much
whether your ISP happens to use e.g. Sprint, Level3, or Telia for its
upstream transit connectivity.. and in consequence, I'd fail to see how
adding BGP at your site edge router would dramatically help the situation.

There IMHO, as you said, is not geographical aggregation in the sense that
one single point would be providing aggregated global connectivity.

> > Remember -- the ISPs *do* inter-connect locally these days, except in
> > some developing areas.  And in that case, the choice of the ISP for
> > outbound packets really don't matter much at all, as long as it just
> > works..
>
> If only it had worked.
>
> The reality is that partially broken ISP is paritally broken.

I'm not sure which kind of brokenness you're referring to -- sometimes,
the ISPs are broken in such a way that even having the full BGP feed at
your site would not help (routing OK but packets get dropped).

It's possible to remove the default route for the other ISP if it's
broken, or to add more specifics to point to the working ISP if necessary.