Re: Full routes needed at sites? [Re: RIR bashing, was: Routing table size?]

Pekka;

It's possible to remove the default route for the other ISP if it's
broken, or to add more specifics to point to the working ISP if necessary.

Exactly. And the easiest way to do so is to have full route.

If you are not convinced, here is a reality check.

How many of multihomed (non-transit) entities today are using the
default-only approach?

Uhh, quite many? There are a lot more ways to "multihome" than just getting an AS, prefix, and BGP feed from two ISPs. I think many actually use solutions like FatPipe WARP (http://www.fatpipeinc.com/), or LinkProof to get a subset of multihoming benefits.

If you think they are "multihome", feel free to use it with IPv6.

Or, accept the reality.

Perhaps there is a partial mismatch of assumptions.

Between assumptions of yours, yes.

For me, the home or small office users could want to start want multihoming too. For them, BGP-like mechanisms and full routing tables seem like an overkill. For midsize enterprises I would like to say the same, unless they insist otherwise. For really big enterprises, it seems fighting against them seems like a battle against the windmill.

Your wrong assumption here is that full routing table is large.

What we need is a set of rather simple and workable multihoming procedures
which don't need (global) routing protocols, public AS numbers or provider
independent addresses.  But that procedure need not be exclusive, "the
only way".  For e.g. bigger organizations, there could be different
methods.

What we need is a workable multihoming solution.

Maybe you're mostly concerned on those (big) folks who multihome today, with known mechanisms.

That is your mistake.

Maybe multiaddressing fits to some of their objectives, maybe not. But even if it does, they should be able to handle a pretty large routing table because .. well.. they already do it today.

That's why full routing table should be small.

Masataka Ohta