Re: RIR bashing, was: Routing table size?

On maandag, okt 13, 2003, at 08:03 Europe/Amsterdam, leo vegoda wrote:

Actually it doesn't work like that in IPv4 either. You can get an AS number if you multihome, but for your own address block you need to show immediate use for a /22 (in the RIPE region).

That's not quite right. If you just want IPv4 address space for yourself then you can get whatever you'll use efficiently. If you need a /29 then that's what you'll get. If you need a /15 then that's what you'll get. Only if you want to assign address space to your customers do you have to show usage of a /22 (for you an all your customers combined).

With "your own address block" I mean either a PI block or a PA block, NOT an assignment out of someone else's PA block.

So are you saying that I can get a PI /29 if I want to?

Many people would be ecstatic if they could get PI /24s or /23s as those are reasonably routable and 24 or 23 bits is much easier to qualify for than 22, or even 20 as I gather ARIN requires.