Re: draft-nordmark-multi6-sim-00.txt

On 26 okt 2003, at 0:36, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

Regarding your draft draft-nordmark-multi6-sim-00.txt, I'm interested to know if you are considered the implications of using the
next header field ?. Let me explain.

[doing special header processing is expensive in routers with hardware IPv6 support]

Yes, this is a good point. I like the idea of using the 6 bit diffserv field for this. This field is modifyable in transit and doesn't impact any processing at the receiving end or in routers that don't support diffserv or type of service processing.

There is a slight disadvantage that this field is only 6 bits, but I don't think it's necessary to populate all possible combinations of service levels and yes/no on the rewriting, so in practice this shouldn't have to be a huge problem.