Re: noid and applications (generic requirements from applications)

On 12-nov-03, at 20:45, Erik Nordmark wrote:

The only thing to consider is when AID(A) isn't working as a locator when
C tries to contact it.

There are two choices:
C can detect that the locator doesn't work and do a reverse+forward DNS
lookup to get the whole locator set (Ls(A)).
or
The referal can include Ls(A) instead of just the AID(A); this requires
modifying existing IPv6 appication protocols which do referal.

I think it would be a good idea to look at a referral API. Such an API would allow a host to ask the system to create a neat little package containing all the pertinent locator and identifier information, then it can transmit this package to a correspondent and the correspondent can then unwrap it and use the content to do whatever it needed the referral for. The advantage of such a system is that it could allow applications that need referral to be completely independent of lower layer technologies, such as the multihoming solution we're going to implement, and the differences between IPv4 and IPv6. The downside would be that this referral package could get significantly larger than a simple address.