Re: how many locators?

On 13-nov-03, at 14:47, Andrew Partan wrote:

How many locators should hosts have - or - how big is the global
routing table - or - where do you get your locators from?

As the number of locators per host goes up, the complexity of
choosing a pair of locations to use for a onnection goes up even
faster (probably as n**2).

Actually at some point the complexity goes down again. If we take getting an address from each ISP to its extreme at some point hosts will have addresses for each aspect of our existence. So at some point two people at opposite ends of an ocean are each going to have an address from the provider of the intercontinental cable. The regular "longest match first" rule in the address selection mechanism will then select those addresses for both ends. Then we simple add a preference to each address and it's going to be the best possible address, too.

But in reality the average number of addresses for multihomers would be very close to 2, exactly because having many addresses would stress the selection mechanisms (that we have to come up with) too much.